Dr. Clinton Warner, Prominent Atlanta Physician and Community Stalwart Passes
Atlanta, GA (July 2, 2012). Dr. Clinton Ellsworth Warner, Jr., a stalwart in the Atlanta community and a member of Eta Omega Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity passed away on Saturday, June 30, 2012.
Dr. Clinton E. Warner, Jr. was born on July 11, 1924 to Mr. Clinton Ellsworth Warner, Sr. and Mrs. Mabel Hubert Warner. He graduated from Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia in 1948, and from Meharry Medical School in Nashville, Tennessee with an MD in 1951 (Summa Cum Laude). He is known for being one of Atlanta’s giants for integrating Atlanta. He was the first Black person to purchase property and a home in then-segregated Southwest Atlanta in 1962, crossing the infamous “Peyton Road Barricade / Berlin Wall” that had been erected by then-Atlanta Mayor Ivan Allen, Jr. This effort initiated fair housing and formed the federation for national fair housing to allow housing for Blacks in Southwest Atlanta.
In 1962, Dr. Warner gave health services, financial support and bail resources to Atlanta Student Movement activists during the Civil Rights struggle. He was jailed twice during protests at Atlanta’s Biltmore Hotel and Heart of Atlanta Motel.
In 1967, he founded the first minority medical group in surgery, the Atlanta Surgical Professional Association. He was instrumental in the founding of the Morehouse School of Medicine (MSM). He was member of MSM’s board of overseers (1976 to 1981), chairman of the board (1981 to 1990) and board of trustees (until 2004). He is chairman emeritus for life.
Dr. Warner served as president of the Georgia State Medical Association from 1964 to 1975 and as president and treasurer of the Atlanta Medical Association in 1962. He served as director of the McVicar Infirmary / Allied Health Services at Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia; chairman emeritus of the Mutual Federal Bank in Atlanta, Georgia; member of board of directors of Blue Cross / Blue Shield, Inc. in Atlanta, Georgia; member of board of directors of Atlanta Life Insurance Company; professor of Preventive Medicine at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia.
Dr. Warner was a member and/or affiliated with several organizations. Some of the medical organizations to which he belonged include the American College of Surgeons (Fellow). Georgia State Medical Association (Past President), Atlanta Medical Association (Past President and Treasurer), National Board of Medical Examiners, National Medical Association, American Medical Association, Southern Medical Association, American Board of Abdominal Surgeons and the Atlanta Surgical Professional Association.
Civic and social organizations to which he belonged included the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), Sigma Pi Phi Fraternity (Kappa Boule), Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Graduate Bridge Club, and the Bidders Bridge Club. Dr. Warner was an Omega legacy. His father (Bro. Clinton Ellsworth Warner, Sr. from Omega Hampton Project, was one of the founders of Eta Chapter (now Eta Omega Chapter).
He has worked with several organizations and held numerous positions. Prior to his death, he had been Chairman Emeritus and adjunct clinical professor of the Department of Surgery of the Morehouse School of Medicine (Atlanta, Georgia). He had been trustee emeritus of the Boule Foundation, Inc. (Chicago, Illinois). His was a charter board member, board member and investment consultant of the Sickle Cell Foundation of Georgia, Inc. (Atlanta, Georgia) and is a board member emeritus. He was president of the Association for the Advancement of Negro Country Life, Inc. (Georgia) and president of Clearbrook Associates, LTD (Atlanta, Georgia).
Dr. Warner had been Chairman of the Board of Trustees, member of the executive committee and chief of surgery of Southwest Community Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia. During Warner’s tenure and involvement, Southwest Community Hospital was the premiere medical service provider for Southwest Atlanta and Blacks in the area. Dr. Warner also had been member of the board of trustees and executive committee of the Fulton-DeKalb Hospital Authority, and chairman of the Hughes Spalding Committee.
Dr. Warner was honorary co-chairman of the Medical Support Group of the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games (ACOG) in 1996, and president and resident agent of the Camilla and Zach Hubert Foundation.
Dr. Warner was treasurer for United States Congressman John Lewis campaigns in 1986, 1988, 1990, 1992 and 1994. He was also treasurer of Atlanta City Councilman Clarence T. “C. T.” Martin campaigns in 1990, 1994, 1998 and 2002.
Dr. Warner was executive vice president and member of the board of directors of The Atlanta Inquirer newspaper, which had been founded out of need, in 1960, from the Atlanta Student Movement and Civil Rights Movement. Until his death, he served as a member of The Inquirer’s advisory board.
More details on Bro. Dr. Clinton Ellsworth Warner, Jr. and funeral arrangements are forthcoming. However, the funeral will be held within the upcoming week.