Cascade Golfer Has A Strategy To Win
Patch does a Q&A with Cascade golfing sensation Zakiya Randall.
Atlanta golfing sensation Zakiya Randall has beaten out more than 3,000 hopefuls to become a top 12 finalist on the Golf Channel's reality series, "Big Break."
The show will air on May 14, 2012.
Patch recently did a Q&A with Randall, a resident of the Cascade Road corridor:
There are a lot of sports out there in which young people can get involved. So what is it about golf that made you take up the sport?
Golf is addicting! You never quite figure it out. It is always something to work on and you can always get better.
I also love the game because it teaches you about life and values. I get to have a lot of fun and to share the game with a lot of people young and old. I have been able to meet some very influential people and to travel to a lot of beautiful places.
You've had a great career so far. What's been the highlight to this point?
Actually I have a few:
- Winning the championship in my very first year of playing golf and being the Atlanta Junior Player of the Year after winning every tournament.
- Crowned Champion at National Junior Tour Championship in Florida, 2003.
- Being the overall Georgia PGA Junior Tour Champion in 2005.
- Winning 1st place and becoming the youngest and only golfer from Atlanta to qualify for the U. S. Women’s Open in 2006 and play with some of the best LPGA players on Tour.
- Achieving top Georgia Junior Girl at National Event.
- Becoming the first female to win a 1st Place Championship Title on the Golf Channel Tour.
- Being a TOP Finalist on “Big Break Atlantis” and launching my professional career.
What's your strategy to win the competition on "Big Break Atlantis?"
First I am very excited to have beaten-out over 3,000 hopefuls to be a TOP Finalist.
My strategy is to win. Competing on “Big Break” is a little different than playing a round of golf, it requires a lot of luck and more Luck.
Who are your role models?
First of all, my mother is my true role model and champion.
Secondly I would say Oprah Winfrey because she is a true business mogul and power broker. And thirdly, Michael Jordan because he really made you believe you could fly.
And finally, who's your favorite golfer?
Right now, my favorite golfer is Yani Tseng. She dominates the LPGA tour and she made a guest appearance on “Big Break Atlantis” and I thought she was really cool.