District 5 Town Hall Meeting on Anti-Fulton Legislation Restricting the Voting Rights of Minorities
Fulton County Board of Commissioners Vice Chair Emma I. Darnell (District 5) invites residents to attend this meeting on this hot topic.
On Sunday February 17, 2013 at 4:00 PM at the Harriett G. Darnell Senior Multipurpose Facility, Commissioner Emma Darnell will hold a Town Hall Meeting to review Anti-Fulton legislation now before the Georgia General Assembly.
"I believe “the time has come” when we must take a hard look at the “North Fulton Redistricting Plan” legislation. If adopted, the legislation will restrict the ability of minority residents within Fulton County to select the Commissioners of their choice in the 2014 Election," said Darnell.
This meeting will center on the "North Fulton Redistricting Plan" now before the Georgia General Assembly that changes the governance structure of Fulton County from five (5) district seats and two At-large seats to three majority districts in the North and three minority districts in the South, and one at-large (Chairman).
Specifically the Plan:
- Abolishes District 5 (Emma Darnell) and District 7 (Bill Edwards)
- Creates new "District 6" that places Commissioners Emma I. Darnell and William "Bill" Edwards in this district
- Abolishes District 2 (At-large) now held by Commissioner Robert "Robb" Pitts
- Creates a new north Fulton district
- Changes current District 6 (Commissioner Garner) impacting minority residents in the district
The Plan has changed the structure of Fulton County from five (5) district seats and two (2) at-large seats – to three (3) majority districts in the North and three (3) minority districts in the South.
The question which must be answered is WHY?
District 5 Town Hall Meeting on Anti-Fulton Legislation Restricting the Voting Rights of Minority Residents
- Sunday, February 17, 2013, 4:00 p.m. at the Harriett G. Darnell Senior Multi-Purpose Facility
Fulton County Board of Commissioners Vice Chair Emma I. Darnell (District 5) invites residents to attend this vital meeting and several upcoming community meetings about important issues facing District 5 and Fulton County.
Other Upcoming Meetings Include:
- Monday, February 18, 2013, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. Southwest Arts Center, 915 New Hope Road, Atlanta
- Tuesday, February 26, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. Bowen-Bankhead Atlanta-Fulton Library Branch, 2685 Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy, NW, Atlanta
These meetings will address a variety of important issues, and including presentations by Fulton County staff on Environmental Justice Legislation, Jobs/ Economic Development, Land Use and Quality of Life issues.