Want to do something worthwhile with your free time? Did you make a New Year's resolution to give back to your community? Here are opportunities for you to make a difference in Cascade:
- Become a nationally certified tutor for free! Math-Amazing Neighborhoods is partnering with the National Tutors Association to offer free tutor training and certification to provide at-risk students with supplemental education, particularly in the area of mathematics. The certification, which is valued at $300, includes the following: 60 hours of training, training materials and more. Get the full details here.
- Clean up the Atwood community: Volunteers are needed Saturday, Feb. 9 from 9 a.m. to noon to maintain and enhance West End's newest urban agritourism attraction, Atwood Community Gardens & Urban Farm, which is a 3.5 acre urban farm located at 779 Atwood St. SW. Get the full details here.
- Help with the 2013 NCAA Men's Final Four: The Atlanta Local Organizing Committee (ALOC) is seeking more than 2,000 volunteers to help with the 2013 NCAA® Men’s Final Four® Tournament. Volunteers will help in various ways like greeting guests at Atlanta hotels or assisting with youth and community events that are expected to draw thousands of locals and visitors from April 5 – 8. Potential volunteers will find all of the opportunities listed here with descriptions, photos from previous Final Four tournaments and videos. Early registration is recommended as selection of volunteer opportunities is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Handy Volunteers Needed for House-Building Renovation:REDEEM Community Outreach Inc. needs volunteers for plumbing, electrical wiring, deconstruction, cleaning up debris and painting, etc. Schedules are flexible. Court ordered volunteers, certified workers and heating and air professionals are welcome.
- GOAL (Girls of Optimum Achievement in Leadership) Program at The Salvation Army needs female volunteer mentors to help guide and mold young women in the southwest Atlanta area. The topics and themes incorporated into the GOAL curriculum are necessary for the development of young ladies who will in turn be equipped to lead in their schools, homes, and community. Get all the details here.