While many will ring in New Year's Eve with champagne, noisemakers and Auld Lang Syne, others have plans to celebrate the occasion in a different place: church.
In greater southwest Atlanta, many worshippers will attend New Year's Even and Watch Night services. Watch Nights recall the freeing of the slaves and how African Americans on New Year's Eve 1862 anticipated the new year in which President Abe Lincoln was scheduled to sign the Emancipation Proclamation.
Here are times for just a few of the many Watch Night and other New Year's Eve services in southwest Atlanta:
- 10 p.m., Watch Night, Ben Hill United Methodist Church
- 7 and 10 p.m., Watch Night, Cascade United Methodist Church
- 7 and 10:45 p.m., Elizabeth Baptist Church
- 10 p.m. Hillside International Chapel and Truth Center
- 9:30 p.m., Watch Night, Providence Missionary Baptist Church
- 8 p.m. Kwanzaa Celebration, 10 p.m., Liberation Eve Service, Zion Hill Baptist Church
If your church is not listed here you can add the information under comments and also add a free event listing, if you subscribe to our newsletter.
To add an event listing, scroll to the bottom of the Cascade Patch home page and click "Contribute."
You also can learn all about contributing announcements and events for free on our site by watching .
Thanks and have a fabulous New Year!