The East Point Fire Department has released information about an early morning fire that forced a father and daughter to leap from the 2nd story of their East Point home Monday morning.
According to the East Point Fire Department, a distress call came from 1419 Gus Thornhill, Junior Drive at 2:56 A.M. When fire trucks responded, "heavy smoke and flames were seen coming from the two story wood frame structure. The two (home occupants) were outside."
The fire department has said that the possible cause of the fire is a Christmas tree which was plugged into an extension cord and left on all night.
A father and his daughter were the only 2 occupants of the house. Both jumped from a second floor window to flee the flames. The father landed safely, but the daughter complained of arm pain and was transported to Egleston Children’s Hospital.
The East Point Fire Dept. report says, "multiple units responded, including East Point Fire Engine 2, Engine 4, Tower 3 and Car 902, for a total of 10 Fire Personnel on scene. The American Red Cross was called to assist the family, and there were no injuries to fire personnel."
Stay tuned to Cascade Patch for a report on Safety during the Holidays.