While Atlanta Public Schools superintendent Errol Davis said today that human error caused the carbon monoxide leak at Finch Elementary School, the Atlanta Fire Department inspected the school building and will allow the school to re-open with a temporary boiler in place, according to a press release from the department.
As the school awaits a permanent replacement for the boiler initially believed to be the cause of the leak, the temporary will be an acceptable compliance with fire coded provided:
1. a 24-hour security detail is provided
2. an emergency plan of action is created
3. a secondary emergency plan is also created
Finch also has new carbon monoxide detectors in place, which will become a fixture at all other Atlanta public schools in the near future.